Considered a “middle of the road” coin for the Coronet Head series, the 1824 is one of the rarer strikes of this series because it was never found in large amounts. By this time copper supply had become more prevalent thus coin blanks were more readily available. In addition, President Monroe appointed Samuel Moore, MD of Pennsylvania as Director of the mint where he served 11 years.
Along with seat change in the Philadelphia Mint, the famed State House received an unofficial name change to relinquish its history. In an effort to plan for Revolutionary War Hero, General Marquis de Lafayette’s visit, city officials began referring to the first floor east wing as “The Hall of Independence,” which is where Lafayette was to be welcomed. The name stayed over time and eventually the entire building deemed the name “Independence Hall” and the square in which it stands is now “independence Square.”