In 1909, the entire town of Ulysses, Kansas was physically moved three miles away. The town had spent thousands of taxpayer dollars to become the seat of Grant County when they paid hundreds of professional voters to sway the outcome. The exorbitant expense led to the town falling into massive debt. Instead of paying the higher taxes levied to relieve the city’s debt, the townspeople put their buildings on skivvies and replanted the town three miles away. The most notable building moved was the two-story hotel that is pictured below. This 1909 quarter eagle recalls the dismantling of Ulysses and the creation of what was called “New Ulysses”.